“Here are some things I was not allowed to do as I began my first job:
– Use any typeface other than Helvetica, Century, Times, Futura, Garamond No. 3, or Bodoni.
– Use more than two typefaces on any project.
– Use more than three sizes of typefaces on any project.
– Begin any layout without a modular grid in place, including a letterhead or a business card.
– Make visual references to any examples of historic graphic design predating Josef Muller-Brockmann or Armin Hoffman.
– Incorporate any graphic devices that could not be defended on the basis of pure function.”
Michael Bierut in The Design Observer.
The first of what I expect will be a long line of parodies of the Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother.
— From SF.